Thursday, January 19, 2006

Tips on Applying for a US Visa when attending a conference

Its been a very busy month for me that's why I now seldom write my personal diary. But,Im so confused now. It seems there are many things that I must do but I can't find theway where to start. Above all, one thing that really bothers me is the US Visa application.I don't know if I will be granted a US Visa in preparation for the SAINT 2003 conferencein Orlando, Florida. Last week and even the previous weeks, this has been the concentrationof my work. I went to DFA in Manila, pay for US Visa, prepare letter for the consul,call hotlines, etc etc etc. Right now, I realized that its really difficult to attend an international conference if you have not enough money. Good thing, i will be re-imbursing myexpenses through the AI3 project in Japan.I just want to share my experiences on how I have pushed through with my upcoming travelto Orlando, Florida USA:1. Submit a paper for an international conference. If your paper gets accepted, you willbe able attend the conference for free through a sponsoring project like AI3 as in my case.The AI3 will be taking care of my travel budget support like airfare from Japan-Orlando,hotel accomodation, registration fee, visa application fee etc. However, you must firstsacrifice your own money in this case.2. Ask for an invitation letter from the conference committee. In my case, the IEEE ComputerSociety is the one who gave me an invitation letter. And i would like to mention the quitelong and difficult correspondence that you have to take just to get this.3. Apply for a passport. I applied for a "green" passport from the DFA (Department of ForeignAffairs). Since, Im a gov't employee, I don't have to fall in line in the very busy and crowded lanes of the DFA applicant's area. You can easily file your application in the what they call"coutesy lane". DFA is right beside the Cuneta Astrodome in Roxas Blvd. To get there, you cantake MRT to Taft Avenuw then a jeepney ride to DFA. (have to take a walk a quite long distance)4. Apply for a US Visa. Applying for a US Visa is the most difficult step. a. Proceed to a BPI bank (i.e., BPI Loyola branch). b. Tell the teller that you are paying for a US Visa application. c. They will then give you a receipt and a blank and machine-validated application form. d. You must pay $100 in return. It is a non-refundable fee which goes to the US Embassy. e. Fill-up the application form with a recent 1x1" photo. f. With the passport and application form filled-up, call the US Embassy Non-Immigrant VISA Interview reservation hotline at 1-909-101-0000 (PLDT/SMART). This is the most memorable part of my visa process. When I dial this through my cellphone, I get a "The number you dialed cannot be completed as dialed" error message. With the help of a customer service inquiry, i've realized that my cellphone cannot be used. We can only use a landline, phone card, or touch card. So I bought a "fonkard" in a grocery near our house. It cannot be used! The next morning I went to Cubao to buy a "touch card" which can be used. Its a good special service of PLDT. Besides it can be used as a prepaid card for landlines and SMART cellphones like mine. So, I boought a P200 worth of call credit. So, I called the hotline. And it went true. I get to talk with the hotline operator. She asked me open my passport, take note of my booking number, and my interview schedule.5. Personal interview. This is the last step and its the turning point. Although, my interview isstill tomorrow, Im sure I can have a US Visa. I have followed their instructions and secured allrequirements. I wish the interviewer will have a positive feedback on my interview tomorrow. Good luck to me! >>Read more

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home